Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Talk Story - Interlude



I was born in Granite City, Illinois toward the end of The Great Depression. It is an old industrial town along the Mighty Mississippi across from Saint Louis, Missouri. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite_City,_Illinois

My father went North from Mississippi to college and my mother went South from Illinois to college. The two met as students at Asbury College in Wilmore, Kentucky. The Myth in which I grew up claims that my father, both of my grandfathers, all my great-grandfathers, and even for a prior generation were Methodist ministers. I have various family artifacts that indicate The Myth is mostly true, although my mother did have the typical Irish propensity for stretching a truth beyond normal limits. While Myth is Truth, greater than truth, it is often factual.

A few years ago, I heard another Myth that may have Truth (or truth) in it. During the Holy Roman Empire, part of the royal line and keepers of the faith were called “margraves.” Because the family name of my great-grandmother was Margrave, it is possible my priestly background goes beyond a few generations of simple Protestant clergy. Since I inherited Mother’s ability to amplify facts, I cherish a fantasy that perchance the long line of my spiritual ancestry goes as far back as the hallowed order of Druids in early Celtic lands. The Myth lives on.




Every family carries traditions of heritage that are merely shady facts, so I will pass on those from my background to my children and let them either sort it out for themselves or add their own embellishments. However that may ultimately play out, there are undeniable details to which I can attest. My father was a Methodist minister, both of my grandfathers were Methodist ministers, and I have evidence of at least two great-grandfathers who were Methodist ministers. There are countless uncles and shirt-tail cousins who were pastors as well – an erudite lineage!

Now, why all this heritage stuff?

All preachers love to tell stories, it seems, and I was no exception. When I was pastoring in Arizona, I was referred to as “StoryTeller Woman” often. Native American StoryTeller dolls represent that tradition. www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/TRAVILAHES/pueblo.html



After many years of travel, I ended up living in Hawai`i, a land of storytelling, more commonly referred to here as “talk story,” which is what locals do at any gathering as a way of truly connecting with others. As a storyteller, I couldn’t stop with writing only one blog, so I have another one you might check out. http://talkstory-lucy.blogspot.com/

Come “talk story” with me!

No comments: