Thursday, May 8, 2008

DaVinci and Camels


One of my favorite books is How To Think Like Leonardo DaVinci by Michael J. Gelb. (See the Amazon link to the left.) Every second spring semester, I teach a college course called “Psychology and the Expressive Arts.” I use Gelb’s book to help students develop their creativity.

One purpose of this blog is to help me define and embrace variety within DaVinci’s seven principles throughout my whole life. It is in the creative realm where I discover many areas of interest and ability, as I aspire to be a “Renaissance Woman.”
Periodically, I will post something here that relates my everyday life (past, present and future) to one of his seven principles. It will be as much self-assessment as it is a way to share my interests with friends and family.

DaVinci’s first principle was “curiositá.” Gelb defines this as “an insatiably curious approach to life and an unrelenting quest for continuous learning.” My unique way of walking in this world keeps exploration and curiosity at the center of my life.
Riding a camel certainly has been one of my more unique experiences! I’d been riding horses for many years, so I thought a camel would be a cinch, but camels have a nasty disposition! Also, along with their constant complaining, they bend down in stages to let you climb on, which gives you the sensation of being on a very fluky rocking chair (or a slow roller coaster).


I ventured out on the guy in the above picture near the Qumran where ancient scrolls were found http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/deadsea.scrolls.exhibit/Library/library.html. Later, I visited the museum where these scrolls are on exhibit.

One of the exercises in Gelb’s book is to write out 100 questions of things you are curious about. Riding a camel can be marked off my list now.

But I do love being curious!

1 comment:

Hilton said...

I absolutely LOVE this photo of you, Lucy. It sums up your spirit of adventure, perfectly.

Hilton
http://inkwatu.com