Friday, April 25, 2008

STORMS AT SEA



One morning, while safely tied up in the harbor, my son met me in the galley with his cup of coffee and said, “Did we have a storm at sea last night?” I blushed, and we both laughed. It seems that a “guest” who had spent the night with me on board had gotten a little rambunctious and we rocked the whole boat!

Several months later, my friends Marty and Darline sailed to Catalina with us. They seemed to enjoy themselves that first night, and at breakfast the next morning, I calmly asked, “Was there a storm at sea last night?” She blushed furiously and he laughed at the joke.

The next time they went sailing with us, Darline said, “There won’t be any storms at sea this time. We did that last night!” So it was obvious everyone knew what we were talking about.

Several years ago, that same couple was checking into a hotel in Mexico (I think) for their wedding anniversary. As Marty was signing them in, he fell across the counter with a fatal heart attack. There will be no more “storms at sea” for them, but they remain close in my memories.

They both helped out on the boat more times than I can remember – getting the engine started, hauling in sails, preparing delicious meals, and just generally being there for whatever was needed. I will have more stories about Darline and Marty as time goes on. For now, I send them both my “aloha” wherever they wander. I wish them well.

Mahalo nui loa, Marty – a hui hou!
(Translation from Hawai`ian: Thank you very much, Marty – until we meet again!)

1 comment:

Hilton said...

Nice post, Lucy Lee; your brother at http://inkwatu.com.