Thursday, April 3, 2008

FRESH SPRING HERBS


At the birth of this blog, I offer my own farewell salute to Aloha Airlines. They carried me on many of my travels around the islands of my state and they always were filled with “aloha.” I grieve their loss, and I am ready to welcome their return someday.

MAHALO NUI LOA - ALOHA OE

July 26, 1946 - March 31, 2008

My thoughts today are focused on wandering through my “fresh spring herbs.” Those three words conjure up three paragraphs.

Fresh – Some recipes specifically call for dried herbs, but for many of the dishes, only a sprig that has been picked fresh will suffice. When I make one of my gargantuan salads (they are actually a full meal), I finish it off with a trip to my herb garden. Fresh oregano and basil are essential. I may add others, as my taste buds make their request, but those two are best tossed in fresh rather than dried. You can see other herbs growing here in my natural rock garden, with basil in the foreground.

Spring – Yes, we do have four seasons in Hawai`i! The change is subtle, but residents can feel when the season is changing. The elevation of my home is about 2300 feet, so while I do not get freezing weather, I do get temperatures into the low 50s (and a rare high 40s). When Spring comes, the trade winds feel a little warmer, winter rains seem to slow down, and the ancient genes in our biological clock tells us it’s time to plant. I have packets of basil and cilantro ready to put into a raised bed full of rich soil today.

Herbs – What is the value of any culinary journey without herbs? Try a fresh tomato-and-basil sandwich made with rich homemade whole wheat bread! Pile on the basil leaves (use extra large leaves) with thick slices of tomato. A treat is waiting for you! Herbs are used for more than food, of course. They provide healing, fragrance, teas, and so much more. I tried to find out how many different herbs there are in this world, but got lost in the labyrinth of the world wide web. If anyone knows, please let me know.

No comments: