Wednesday, July 9, 2008

How Stiff Is Your Spine?


This stately bird on a pier on Anna Maria Island in Florida is a perfect example of poise and grace. The pier continues to hold its own through all the hurricanes.

I had been doing yoga for a number of years before I moved onto the boat. Yoga gave me flexibility and inner well-being. But I gave that up when it became impossible to maintain a position, no matter how still the waters were.

Living on Lothlorien became an exercise in constant isometrics. Contracting my muscles became an unconscious act as I tried to maintain balance with a moving deck under my feet. So living aboard and sailing took the place of yoga. The main problem I had was walking on Mother Earth after a few weeks at sea.

One of da Vinci’s principles is that of corporalita. He kept himself in top physical condition and gave much advice on preserving our fitness. Physical activity and health isn’t always as high on my priority list as I would like, but I hope his modeling will assist in my “cultivation of grace, ambidexterity, fitness, and poise.”


According to WebMD.com, an online authority on health, meds, and fitness, da Vinci is responsible for many of the health trends alive today.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/da-vinci-health-code

Another way to adhere to the principle of corporalita is through native Hawai`ian alternative healing.
http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/hacul/wellness.htm There are classes available to learn the natural healing plants here on the Big Island.

Many of my friends, including non-Hawai`ians, are studying and using Hooponopono. This is a way of working with families and individuals within families to set things right, not only with each other, but with our ancestors. http://www.ancienthuna.com/ho-oponopono.htm

There are many ways to achieve health and fitness. Learning the ways of the kahuna, opening ourselves to the ways of oriental medicine http://www.qi-journal.com/tcm.asp , living by da Vinci’s rules of health, we can begin to put ourselves right in many ways.

In the meantime, check out one of these books.



No comments: