Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Body Works


Here on the Big Island of Hawai`i, it seems we are having a problem keeping traditional medical doctors. I won’t go into the reasons for that, but it brings a deeper awareness that I need to start taking care of my own body.

Certain diseases and surgical procedures that I may need as I get older will require more of Western medicine, I’m sure. However, in keeping with Da Vinci’s notion of corporalita, I can keep my physical structure as healthy as possible through natural means.

The little book that started me out doing yoga many years ago is Richard Hittleman’s Yoga 28 Day Exercise Plan. My old worn-out copy was published in 1969! It’s simple and the postures are easy to follow.


When I moved onto Lothlorien and stopped doing yoga, I didn’t get back to it when I moved back onto land in 1983. I’m writing this post with the intention of putting myself back on track.

“You are as young as your spine is flexible.” Hittleman quotes this ancient yogic adage. I have certainly been a good example of this, and as I garden (see http://lava-to-lilikoi.blogspot.com) I’m even more aware of my need to return to yoga.

There is another gentle movement that works wonders with our flexibility, balance and serenity. That is Tai Chi Chuan, or more typically called Tai Chi. If you saw the movie “Calendar Girls” (one I highly recommend), then you saw the women doing Tai Chi at the beginning and at the end of the movie.

I started doing Tai Chi with nothing but a book to guide me, and I can’t even remember the name of it. Like most activities that involve movement, however, it’s not easy to follow and get it right.

Years later, I took a few classes with an elderly cardiologist from China who was a guest lecturer at the University of Arizona Medical Center in Tucson. Because of him, my interest developed, but then I moved away.

Now a CD guides me in its calm and flowing way. The beginning of it is beautiful just as a meditation, if nothing else. T’ai Chi for Health, Yang Long Form with Terence Dunn. It is a full 2-hour program that starts with a philosophical and historical intro, then ends with a 15 minute demonstration.


Writing this post has inspired me to devote more time to my health in this way. Turn up your sound, and take a few minutes to watch and meditate with the Tai Chi video.



No comments: